MS Backup won't backup

fitshase 00:47 23 Jul 07

I want to use MS Backup to complete regular backups of my files (my docs, favourites, outlook mail files, templates, etc) so I have a copy that will be read on any Windows XP machine.

I have looked at the third party software but I would have to install these on any machine I restore to (could be multiple machines) which is costly. Also, for ease of use I want to keep with the built in software.

However, I have used this in the past with no probs doing backups 3 times a week.

However, I borrowed a SCSI tape drive from work a while back to try out daily backups but could not get the tape drive to install properly so gave up and removed it.

Now, however, MS Backup will not backup! The program loads, I go through the motions of setting up the backup, selecting what I want backed up, setting the location, setting the schedule, naming the backup, etc. All seems to work.

But, I close the program, leave the computer on running overnight to start the backup at 00:30 and come back the next morning to find the backup did not run. I open MS Backup, check the schedule and it's all still there but it hasn't run. I open Scheduled Tasks and it is there OK but does not run!

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

fitshase 00:59 23 Jul 07

I should add, if I run a manual backup it works (i.e., select backup tab and choose the folders then run backup).

It seems the scheduled bit won't work. There are no errors or anything. Even if I right click on the task in Scheduled Tasks and click Run, nothing happens.

uesquebeathus 18:48 23 Jul 07

i am sorry but the msbackup is about the most useless backup tool available, I would have hoped that microsoft would have produced a better solution and updated it to the modern world at least in xp and vista but no luck, you would be better to use Acronis True Image version 10, or Backup4U, or Veritas.
I have been up the same path as you,( it looks as if it will work and does for a week then screws up again, it wants a new tape, or a new name, or a date is wrong) with the same unresolvable problems in many companies computers it has caused huge amounts of grief, arguments, loss of customer goodwill and eventually they all had to purchase a better product.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…