MS Backup operation restricted to one PC?

Connaught 11:21 26 Jan 03

I have Win 98 on my desktop and have used MS Backup to save files from the desktop to CD RW. Therefrom, I have tried to restore these files to my laptop that also has win 98. Although it goes through the exercise I find, eg, that none of my emails appear in Outlook Express on the Laptop. The files are listed under “ identities” but under a different reference number for the folder. In fact the folder reference numbers on my desktop windows folder are quite different to that on my laptop. Does anyone know if what I am aiming for is possible or is MS Backup restoration restricted to the PC from which they are saved.

Thanks Connaught

OBE-1 12:29 26 Jan 03

if you laptop had the same hard wear in it as you pc then the backup would work fine, but it will not be the same and that is where you problem is.
why don't you just link you pc to you laptop and swap files that way it works for me and it only takes seconds to do

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…