MS Backup fails

Keith 17:50 14 Jun 03

Using MS Backup to schedule server Backups (Normal and Incremental) to Travan tape streamer, it persisitently fails 'New Media Not Found' even though we configure it to use specific tapes (used) with specific headers, and to over-write exisiting data. Why does it insist on using new media? How do we configure it to cure the problem? Keith

recap 19:47 14 Jun 03

Keith, if the rest of the error message states something like "...may take 60 seconds..." then just wait and the message box will change. Once this message box has changed the scheduled backup will start.

BurrWalnut 19:53 14 Jun 03

I can't quite remember how I got round it but I used to always get that message but was able to do the backup.

I may be wrong but try My Computer, right click on the drive you want to back up, Properties, Tools and then back-up and I THINK you pick a backup job that has been run before or cancel.

Try different approaches using cancel/ignore, I'm sure you'll be able to do it. If not there will be Win98 users who will put you on the right track.

Keith 22:33 14 Jun 03

... the point is that these are backups scheduled to run at 03:00 a.m. (i.e. overnight backups in a business environment). Backup is scheduled and the appropriate tape media left inserted in the tape streamer for it to get on with it unattended. But, on checking the report next morning, voila it has failed 'no new tape media found' or some such. I can initiate the backup interactively and have to reply 'yes' to overwrite the tape. The OS is Win 2000 Pro.

recap 19:49 16 Jun 03

There is an option to use a previous backup tape when going through the backup setup routine. Check the settings in Advanced options. There is a Radio button that you need to enable. Sorry I cannot remember exactly where this button is in the setup routine.

Keith 21:23 16 Jun 03

Thanks - I'll check out Advanced settings. I've used these when starting an interactive set-up but must have missed it. Thanks again. Keith

Keith 21:25 16 Jun 03

I found what looks like the error/problem I experience on the MS Knowledge Base and the solution is to unstall SP1 (or SP3 as it now is). This may cure things.

recap 10:55 18 Jun 03

Keith, check in the Backup Wizard on the Media Options section under "If the archive media already contains backups" that the radio button is selected for "Replace the data on the media with this backup"

The backup should then automatically select the backup tape regardless of whether it has data on it or not.

Keith 11:52 18 Jun 03

Yes - I have already checked this. This is one of the frustrating things about the problem - it is set to "replace the data ..." but still insists on having "New media". If we set to use a tape that has been used before (i.e. with a specific header) it won't have it. See my previous posting re SP1. We're about to migrate from WIn 2000 Pro to Win 2000 Server so that might cure it. Thanks. Keith

recap 16:29 18 Jun 03

Migrating should solve the issus for you, plus going to server will give you more control over the whole network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…