MS Anti-Spyware ?

Slithe 12:40 16 Dec 05

Hi,

I have a laptop and a desktop both running XP Home. Although the desktop has 1GB RAM and a 64MB Graphics Card (as opposed to the laptops on board 64MB graphics,) both have almost identical software and hardware configurations, done deliberately for ease in transferring files across.

However, the desktop won't run a simple program that the laptop will run. I've checked, and although the software is old, it will run on my laptop XP Home, but not on the desktop.

When I try to run the software on the desktop, I get a 100% CPU Usage, that only disappears when the program is closed.

The only thing I can think is that my laptop does not have MS Anti-Spyware on it. Could this be the culprit? Any ideas?

ACOLYTE 12:43 16 Dec 05

Depends what the program is,and if MS antispy thinks its malware and stops it from running.

VoG II 12:43 16 Dec 05

I doubt it.

Have you tried compatibility mode click here click here

Slithe 12:49 16 Dec 05

Yep, VoG, I have tried compatability mode for all the options and the software continues to refuse to load on the desktop.

To be honest, I'm glad I tried this out, as this is a present for my brother who has an identical desktop to me - they were both cheap in Feb. and I upgraded them both.

Any ideas, I've struggled for months to get hold of the software and I want to avoid trouble on Xmas day!

johnnyrocker 12:57 16 Dec 05

safe mode?

johnny.

Slithe 13:09 16 Dec 05

Tried that, the program still will not run

Mytob 13:13 16 Dec 05

compatibility mode is about as usefull as a choclate fir guard! Iv tryed it on countless numbers of programs with no sucess ever! Please bear in mind the anti spyware is in beta at the moment and still full of bugs. I would loose it if i were you and get adaware spybot and spyware blaster. They are all very much more mature progs and i have had no probs with them atall. I also highly recoment them for blocking prety much all spyware. I havent got any in 2 months now and im online most of the day!

Slithe 19:57 16 Dec 05

OK - I've removed MS Anti-Spyware and the problem still exists, after installing adaware, which is a better program.

It is odd that the programme works on my laptop and not on a more powerful desktop PC.

I am greatful for all the suggestions so far, however, any other thoughts would be appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…