MS Access Conversion Problem

beaky 11:11 11 Feb 05

When opening an Access97 database in Access 2002, the conversion comes up with errors. Here is a couple - "Compilation errors might be due to DAO syntax". and when you try to run it - "Missing or broken ref to the file dao2535.tlb version 3.5". Then it goes into Debug mode showing lines of code and when you exit from that it exits Access. Help does not help. Is it possible to convert and what does DAO mean?

Diemmess 12:28 11 Feb 05

I'm not really the person to help because I gave up trying to use 2000 and went back to the familiar 97.

DAO surprise surprise means Data Access Object.....Hope you are wiser now, because all sorts of things in Access are fairly obviously DAOs.

The trouble for me was this conversion, where I lost data or relationships or was unable to make sense of what was left.

The underlying code seems to be a new one and is not easily related to older versions..........
Visual Basic seems to be essential - where the more plodding macros are lost. The macros were my proudest peak of beginning to understand how to tune Access and get the best from it!

This is little help to you, but may bump your query to the top again and there are experts about who may be of real help.

Diemmess 10:09 12 Feb 05

^

Chris the Ancient 11:38 12 Feb 05

Straw grasping time...

Have you tried a repair and compact while still in A97?

And that's the limit of my guesses! I am lucky that it never happened to me without being able to just slightly modify code sections that were spotted as 'buggy'.

Chris

AccessMoron 18:38 12 Feb 05

Open a code window of any form in the database.
Do a find and repace for database, replace with dao.database, do the same for recordset, replace with dao.recordset.

whilst in the code window, goto tools references and make sure that dao 3.5 (or 3.6) is checked.

The above should sort your problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…