MS Access 97 won't work on my new computer!

woowoowoo 18:10 23 Sep 05

Evenin' all
I have just bought a new computer, replacing my old, old pc which ran on Windows '98. Well I have Microsoft Office '97, which ran fine on my old machine with 10gb of memory, but when I installed it on my new PC, with 250gb, Access won't run, saying there is not enough memory.
Does anyone know why this should be? I don't want to have to fork out hundreds on pounds for a new Office Suite.

CMC 42 18:18 23 Sep 05

If you've upgraded to XP try using the compatibility mode (Right click the set up click properties and change compatibility to windows 98).
I think we had a similar problem with a piece of software - it seems to be that older software doesn't recognise more than 2 digit numbers or something, in fact I know one of ours couldn't figure out that we had so much left of our hardrive it missed 3 or so 0's of of the KB meaning that it didn't work.

VoG II 18:20 23 Sep 05

You are confusing memory (RAM) with the size of the hard drive.

Anyway, have you tried in compatibility mode? click here

woowoowoo 18:23 23 Sep 05

Ohhhh - I'm sure my RAM is bigger too. Thanks very much for the info - I will give that a go.

NT Server 18:32 23 Sep 05

On XP you must have admin rights before you can use Access 97.
Does the not enough memory error appear straight away of is it when you click on a form / table?
What are the exact words in the error message that appear?
Have you got any VB code that runs first?
Also if you are using a switchboard you may find it won't work Microsoft don't support switchboards any more.
And I take you have XP sp2?

woowoowoo 18:34 23 Sep 05

The compatibilty thing didn't work - I tried Windows '98 and '95.

woowoowoo 18:38 23 Sep 05

I comes up straight away "Out of memory" and when I click on Ok it says " a system error has occured or there isn't enough memory to start Microsoft Access. Close uneeded programs and try again"

NT Server 18:41 23 Sep 05

What type of printer are you using. Upgrade to the latest driver. Is the error when you open a database or just open Access?.

woowoowoo 18:44 23 Sep 05

I don't have another database. My printer is a Canon i965. Word and Excel work OK.

NT Server 18:51 23 Sep 05

You miunderstood me. Are you opening a database or are you just starting Access. Its worth upgrading your print driver as Access always checks when starting up to see if one is available. It uses the print driver to format reports if you have wriiten any. If the driver has not been designed for XP it may not be loading in to memory correctly.

NT Server 18:57 23 Sep 05

Is this the message you get.
A system error occurred, or there isn't enough free memory to start Microsoft Access. Close unneeded programs and try again.
If it is its a permissions problem. You need to have Admin rights to XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…