MS Access

B33J 12:47 02 May 07

I have been tasked at work to create a database of a number of files that we have that holds a vast amount of test data that we have collected over the years. I need to assign each file a number of characteristics, such as date created, name of file, what it refers to, serial number etc, so that they can be searched for at a later date more easily. My knowledge of Access is rather limited and I don't know how to do this. My company thinks I know how to use Access so have asked me to sort this out. If anyone has any advice or knows of any websites that might be able to help it would be much advised.

Pete

Belatucadrus 13:04 02 May 07

click here

click here

click here

click here

Best advice with access databases is always work out exactly what you want to store and what you want to do with it first, as tweaking and correcting stuff mid development is nearly always a pain in the gluteus maximus.

Woolwell 15:08 02 May 07

Belatucadrus' advice to work out first what you want to store and what you want to do with it is correct. But I would amplify that by stating that you want to work out what information you need to get out from the database and in what order. This information is vital in deciding relationships and building reports. The type of database that you describe could easily be built using Excel as it doesn't seem from the information that you have provided that there are any relationships. However using Access you could have a neater report and get at data from a large amount easier with a suitable query.

Finally remember to produce documentation so that someone else can follow you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5