To Mr FE.

Mister Splendid 21:31 15 Mar 04

I had to format and re-install Windows over the weekend. Time to clear out the clutter. Following that I have been able to vote on the current PC Advisor pole a second time using the same username. So, if I do this often enough, can I distort the pole to give the result I want?

Mango Grummit 21:37 15 Mar 04

What result do you want?

If you are going to format each time to "clear the clutter" then go ahead matey -- distort away, bit time consuming mind :o)

Mister Splendid 21:39 15 Mar 04

You appear to be taking me seriously, why??

Gaz 25 21:43 15 Mar 04

Erm, I maybe shouldnt say this but is a bit extreame considering it is all kept in a cookie.

woodchip 21:51 15 Mar 04

Yes it would affect the pol

Mister Splendid 21:53 15 Mar 04

Erm..... I discovered I could vote twice after doing the format and re-install, which I did to clear out the clutter, not so I could vote twice......

Mango Grummit 21:54 15 Mar 04

woodchip

By the time Mister Splendid has reformatted and reinstalled everything for the fourth time we'll be on a different poll, 3 or 4 votes either way will not effect the end result overmuch I wager.

mole44 21:55 15 Mar 04

me thinks its time for Mister Splendid,to be sent to the tower of london for his daring deeds

woodchip 22:08 15 Mar 04

Not if he does it like me I can do it in 10 mins including OS and all software

Mango Grummit 22:12 15 Mar 04

The quickest I did it once was about 12 minutes but it's a tad longer now. I'm up to seven disks worth of DI. About 18 minutes now I think.

Taran 22:17 15 Mar 04

This topic has cropped up several times in the past.

So, on a serious note, yes, it is possible by clearing out your browser cache [or by formatting your hard drive if you feel that way inclined] to vote mutliple times in a poll.

Thankfully though, the number of people who choose to do so is minimal and PCA know who they are and can take that into account when processing the end data.

By and large the majority of any and all votes will be genuine, placed in good faith by people who want to show their opinion and so an accurate indication of the general opinion of those who take part in the poll may still be reached.

It does raise certain questions though, about why anyone might want to "distort the poll" in the first place, since the whole point is to gather general feedback and draw conclusions from it.

Distorting the results would, in fact, waste everyones time who took part in the poll, the magazines time, effort and resources in trying to gauge reaction to the topic in hand, as well as wasting the time of those who choose to try and pervert the results in the first place since a distorted result serves no real purpose - a flawed result pretty much renders the entire thing pointless.

Go figure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Portable power and versatile design let down by expensive accessories and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best design TV series, films & documentaries

iPhone 7 Plus vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium comparison preview: Superb camera gives Sony the edge - on…