MPG thumbnails in XP sp3

JYPX 21:14 05 Aug 08

When I create an mpg video in XP sp3 I do not have a thumbnail picture.
I have been searching Google for 2 days and have tried each registry/other fixes offered but no joy.
If I display these files on my laptop (Xp sp2) I can see a thumbnail picture for each file. I have disabled every non windows codec (in turn) - still no joy.
So....I have reinstalled XP sp3 from scratch and - still no mpeg thumbnails. Added K-LITE codec pack, then XP codec pack, still no thumbnails. Help anybody.
If you have SP3 and have created an mpg file since you installed SP3 - can you see a thumbnail?????? (as I am now suspecting SP3 is the problem.....)
Old mpg thumbnails (created on another pc) are ok.

ashdav 21:24 05 Aug 08

Uninstall K Lite codec pack then reinstall it.
There is an option during setup to create thumbnails for various file types.

JYPX 21:31 05 Aug 08

ashdav - thanks for the idea. Have tried that, am sorry to say that mpeg2 is not one of the options in the list.

JYPX 21:39 05 Aug 08

Marg7 - Believe it or not I have tried the options on that page - no joy. Am starting to think this is an sp3 problem.
Am hoping someone with sp3 will respond and tell me if they can see a thumbnail with a newly created mpg video file.

MAT ALAN 21:40 05 Aug 08

click here

follow thread, page 2 may have the answer you are looking for...

JYPX 21:58 05 Aug 08

MAT ALAN - OH MY GOODNESS , I DO NOT BELIEVE IT - AL MY THUMBNAILS HAVE APPEARED after installing the "stinky mpeg2 codec" mentioned on page 2 of that thread. So, after saying thank you !!!, how am I going to fare installing a dvd player, and my video editor (ulead). Will they not override this new codec???
I am very grateful but without a bit of understanding the problem I may hit further trouble.

MAT ALAN 22:04 05 Aug 08

Only one way to find out me old conker!!

you could always uninstall the codec and reinstall it after you have reinstalled your chosen players...

JYPX 22:08 05 Aug 08

Just..................amazing.
The new codec is now burnt onto a cd which is in a fireproof safe guarded by a large dog.
I owe you one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos