mpg files won't work?!

Virtuosity 10:58 22 Jan 08

Hi. I recently reinstalled Windows XP Pro to my PC (due to a HDD update) and now I can't play mpg files! Before the reinstall all worked fine. I am using Media Player 11 but I tried other players as well including VLC, non of them worked. Windows Media Player actually crashes! All other formats are working fine including DVDs. So I am stuck! I would appreciate if you have other ideas. Thank you all.

Virtuosity 19:29 22 Jan 08

any ideas..!?

MAJ 19:43 22 Jan 08

Try installing the K-Lite codec pack. click here

realist 20:06 22 Jan 08

Maybe try free DivX player
click here

Virtuosity 21:16 22 Jan 08

Thank you both. I am already using the DivX, I also tried K-Lite codec pack (among others), these didn't make any change. What really surprises me that all the file format were fine before the re installation, I don't remember doing anything different. Now all files work fine but the mpg files..!? Really puzzled.

Les28 15:15 23 Jan 08

Just a few ideas may not be of any help,

Download Gspot and open an mpeg file in Gspot just to make sure you have the codecs for audio and video on your pc.

click here

Try playing mpeg in Media Player Classic

click here

In MPC click View/Options/Internal Filters and make sure MPEG PS/TS/PVA is ticked in source filters and MPEG-2 Video is ticked in Transform filters, Apply and OK, then try to play mpeg.

Do you have a programme assigned to play mpeg files in MyDocuments/ Tools/ Folder Options/ File Types

Was it a recovery CD install or a full XP CD you reinstalled from, if a full reinstall from XP disc did you reinstall your graphics drivers with either onboard chip motherboard drivers or graphics card manufacturers download.

Is your XP fully updated? Have you got DirectX 9.0c Click Start then Run type dxdiag then OK on the system tab system information DirectX 9.0c ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced