mpg files make computer reboot!

v8 23:54 02 Nov 07

hi guys, got a new comp, loaded windows xp pro and office xp pro, but have discovered mpg files make the comp reboot if they are highlighted, double clicked or right clicked!! very peculiar as avi files play perfectly well. if windows media player 11 is opened and i try opening the files in the player, same result. however, if i open the files in videolan's vlc media player or real alternative's media player classic, the files play perfectly normally. have tried uninstalling windows media player (it rolls back to version 9 - same result, comp reboots) and reinstalling version 11 to no avail. never come across anything like this, any ideas?? comp is athlon 64 x2, 1gb ram, 160gb sata primary hdd, 120 gb ide secondary hdd. thanks in anticipation

mrwoowoo 01:54 03 Nov 07

Maybe downloading the latest mpeg2 or mpeg 4 codecs for windows media player will cure the problem.

v8 18:36 04 Nov 07

thanks for the input - codecs all appear to be up to date, think i'll just have to use a different media player as the default player for mpegs. cheers anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017