MPG in Excel

theearlofsabden 18:00 12 Aug 08

I want to record all my fuel into an Excel spreadsheet.

Has anyone got a template they could email with regarding effectively working out litres to gallons and returning a MPG result.

Many thanks

Neil.

bremner 18:08 12 Aug 08

Column A - Miles travelled

Column B - Litres of fuel purchased.

Column C - Divide Column B by 4.55 to get gallons

Column D - Divide colmun A by Column C for MPG

theearlofsabden 18:13 12 Aug 08

Do I need to replicate any of the formula(s) if I want to use it week after week, record after record?

How does row 2, the second entry of miles travelled get the result of row 1, the first entry

Regards

Neil.

VoG II 18:23 12 Aug 08

In column D use the formula

=SUM(A:A)/SUM(C:C)

assuming that you want to calculate cumulative MPG.

theearlofsabden 18:31 12 Aug 08

Yea..... each week (entry) I want the spreadsheet to automatically make the conversion from litres to gallons and calculate the MPG.

So I just need to add =SUM(A:A)/SUM(C:C) and that'll do the trick?

Regards
Neil.

VoG II 18:36 12 Aug 08

I'm not clear what you want to do.

If you just want to calculate MPG for each time you refill use bremner's formulas and fill them down as far as needed.

If you want the overall average MPG to be calculated then use my formula in column D, also filled-down as far as needed.

To fill-down a formula, enter the formula in a cell, click on that cell, hover the cursor over the bottom right of the cell until the cursor turns into a + then hold down the left mouse button and drag down as far as needed.

theearlofsabden 18:41 12 Aug 08

I'm aware that I can fill down as needed, but could I not format the spreadsheet to do that automactically at each entry by e.g

by using a $ relative formula, say for the first 100 records, so then I would have no need to fill down.... if so where would I insert $

Regards
Neil.

I am Spartacus 18:41 12 Aug 08

I've got a template I used to use when I had a car. I can clear it out but leave some sample data in if you want.

Click on the yellow envelope next to my name if you want me to send it.

VoG II 18:44 12 Aug 08

As an example

=IF(B2="","",B2/4.55)

You can fill this down as far as needed. It won't display anything unless there is an entry in column B.

theearlofsabden 18:45 12 Aug 08

Thanks VoG, bremner and I am Spartacus

Regards
Neil.

I am Spartacus 18:54 12 Aug 08

On its way. I've stripped out all but a sample of the data. There's also a chart attached.

It won't be as elegant as one that VoG would put together but I used it from 1992 to last year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…