MPEGs not responding on Ext. HD - Any ideas, please?

buel 09:04 01 Jun 14

Hi all, A while back I copied lots of MPEGs from my TV tuner HD to my own PC external HD. Whilst I can watch them with VLC player, when I try to rename them or delete them, the operation hangs and I end up having to close the process which usually closes Windows explorer and I have to then try and go through the whole scenario again. Some of the video files won't even play.

This only happens on some of the video files and others are renamed and deleted just fine. It is very frustrating. Please can I have some thoughts on what I can do to sort this problem out?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:24 01 Jun 14

can happen if the file is badly fragmented or even corrupted (but wouldn't then play).

How is the ex drive formatted and what op system?

TV HDD often use Linux where as windows uses FAt32 or NTFS

exfat is one form that can be used but xp will need an exfat reader or an update

buel 09:48 01 Jun 14

Good morning and thank you, FB.

Ext HD is NTFS and Im using Vista. Does this help, please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:25 01 Jun 14

Make sure the ex drive is defragged, that may help.

buel 11:00 01 Jun 14

Brilliant! I'll give it a go...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:32 01 Jun 14

Attached by USB2 or 3, e-sata, network?

if Vista probably USB2 which can be a bit of a bottleneck when trying to deal with large files or do too much at once, mine locks up sometimes if trying to do alot with stuff on the external drive.

buel 11:59 01 Jun 14

Connected via USB (I assume USB2) and using Vista. I used Windows Defrag tool and it analized it and said it was 'good' but defragged it anyway and it took a few minutes. I am now performing a disk check (taking a while).

I must say that renaming and/or deleting files/folders elsewhere on the ext HD is fine, always has been, it's just in this particular folder?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:08 01 Jun 14

Hmm sounds a little like corruption, a disk check may cure it but if you still have the original files, I would be tempted to delete the folder and recopy from the TV HDD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced