MP3/WMA/ATRAC3/ANTRAC3...?

chrishillcoat 11:33 19 Jun 03

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a Sony DNE1 CD walkman (click here) but just noticed it doesn't support WMA. I have some music encoded in WMA, and if I was to re-encode it, I'd wonder whether ATRAC or ANTRAC is worth the trouble.

Does anyone have data on relative sizes and benefits of these file formats for a bitrate comparable to 128k MP3?

Thanks a lot,
Chris

scotty 12:46 19 Jun 03

I recently got a Sony D-NE715which offers similar features. I understant Atrac3 has a similar compression rate to MP3 (~10:1). Atrac3 plus offers about 20:1 compression. Both can be encoded at 2 or 3 different bitrates.

Personally, I am sticking with MP3. I can have the music from 10 of my music CDs on a single disc. I use readily available freeware programs to get the music on to a CD R/W (e.g. CDex) and create playlists using WinAmp.

I am really pleased with the product. My only slight complaint is that the screen is too small to display enough information about the track names etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…