MP3s Won't Play On Windows Media Player

DavidM4 10:35 29 Oct 05

My mp3s won't play on WMP when I double click them, I have to right click and scroll down to open with. My mp3 properties are set to open with WMP and I have re-installed WMP but still they are not having it. What am I doing wrong?

Splork 10:41 29 Oct 05

Try right clicking, select Open With... (hold shift when you right click if it doesn't appear as an option at first) - choose Windows Media Player and tick the `Always use this program` box. Have you recently used any other programs that play mp3 files?

DavidM4 10:56 29 Oct 05

Splork, Just tried that a few times and still they won't open with a double left click. No I have just used WMP.

Splork 10:59 29 Oct 05

OK, try Control Panel/Folder Options - File Types tab, just type mp3 instead of scrolling through the enormous list of filetypes - does it show default as WMP?

DavidM4 11:07 29 Oct 05

yes it does

Splork 11:15 29 Oct 05

What about if you try to play mp3's from webpages? Does IE play them itself or load WMP? click here for an mp3 file to try it out on.

DavidM4 11:21 29 Oct 05

That plays with my AOL/Philips Media player, so I don't know. What I have noticed as well is that I cannot drag n drop anything from my slave HD to my master, don't know if that is anything to do with it.

DavidM4 11:24 29 Oct 05

I think I'll post the drag n drop problem as a separate thread.

Splork 11:28 29 Oct 05

No I think that's a seperate issue. I've seen a similar mp3 problem before, and ended up going into the registry and deleting the .mp3 filetype from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT to allow programs to setup the associations again. It's not recommended though.
You might want to try click here - run it while attempting to load an mp3, check through the resulting text to see if WMP is looking for any registry keys that are missing (not all will be problematic).

DavidM4 11:44 29 Oct 05

The drag n drop does not work full stop, not just from slave to master.

Splork 11:47 29 Oct 05

That doesn't sound promising.
You might want to do a system file check - Start Menu/Run, type SFC /scannow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…