mp3 player/software

mimo 21:33 04 Sep 03

hello all....i am considering purchasing an mp3 player in the coming weeks,but before i do i have a couple of point i hope you can answer ....my budget is round about £100 ,i know for this sum im looking at a player with memory of around 64-128mb.i would prefer a machine with 20gb ,but money is always an issue.there are a number of mp3 players within my budget,but which one is value for money.all personal recommendations are appreciated.....being new to the growing world of mp3 im not to sure how the software works.i have nero 5 and media player 9.i cant recall if these programs will convert cd music to mp3 format.or is there software which i can download/buy which will assist.as i said this is all new to me so any advice would help.thanks for taking the time to read this ,and i hope to hear from you soon.best regards mimo

dazzling (work) 21:48 04 Sep 03

you can get a codec from the microsoft site for mp9 which will allow you to rip cds to mp3 format.i have a beatman flash mp3 player 64mb onboard + 128mb smartmedia card very small ideal for gym or running because its solid state,as opposed to having a hard drive it also takes media player format music which yuo can already do without the codec.if you are going to run with it or anything like that you realy need a solid state player if not save a bit more for one with a hard drive in.hope this helps darren.

Antz 21:50 04 Sep 03

Almost every mp3 player comes with the software to rip your cd's to mp3. You transfer what you want of your collection to a virtual jukebox on your p.c and move it in and out of your mp3 player as you please. Don't touch Sony's atrac format if your very new to this, they use copyright protection software and it's a nightmare for the advanced p.c user let alone the beginner.

mimo 16:35 06 Sep 03

thank you all for your advice,best regards mimo

MS35 19:15 06 Sep 03

There is free software available to enable you to "rip" tracks from your CD collection and convert them into MP3 files on your computer . CD-Xtractor was reviewed by the Telegraph early last year and has been good for me.

See click here

If you've already got a CD Writer, have you considered a CD MP3 player. Philips Expanium get mixed reviews but I bought an Exp303 for £50 and can get about 90 tracks on a single cd (750mb) and about 12 hours play from 2 AA batteries.

daba 19:47 06 Sep 03

MS35 - Considering a typical 3-minute track is about 3 to 4 Mb, I'm surprised you only get 90 tracks on your 750 Mb CD. At 4 Mb per track you should get around 180 tracks.

This is at the "CD Quality" resolution of 128. And personally I can't see why anyone would want to record from a CD at a higher quality than the original CD, you just don't get anything more from it?

Mimo - Have you looked at the USB "memory stick" type mp3 players?. OK they limited functionality like not having a display, but they can be used for data storage as well, recharge themselves from the USB port, and hey they don't half look cool on the beach !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…