MP3 Player not recognised

AIRJAM 19:39 11 Mar 05

Just bought an iriver H320 MP3 player. When I connect to USB, it is not recognised in Explorer and my PC crashes. Works on my friends PC - only difference is I have USB 2 and Service Pack 1 and he does not. Please help !!

daba 23:58 11 Mar 05

USB 2 is backwards compatable with USB 1.1 so there should be no problem with any USB device on USB 2.

What Windows version are you using?

W2K and XP should see it automatically when plugged in, and automatically load the in-built drivers for the player.

If W95 or W98 then you will need additonal drivers to let Windows 'see' the USB hardware and install it as a 'Removeable Drive'. These drivers may not be available for the older Win versions, i.e. the player may only work with W2K or XP.

Also, installation of drivers, (and hence the installation of the mp3 player), may be inhibited by system administration rights. This is usually the case on corporate PCs. I assume this is your own PC you are trying to install the player?

AIRJAM 16:32 12 Mar 05

Both PC's using XP Pro, but mine (my own, not corporate) is the one with SP1 - friend has not upgraded. Consequently, my friends PC has different/older USB drivers than mine and am trying to find how I can revert to older USB drivers ?

Thanks for your help.

AIRJAM 20:14 15 Mar 05

Anyone got any more suggestions ?

Totally-braindead 21:00 15 Mar 05

Does the MP3 player take its power from the USB port when you plug it in, just wondering if it could be a power problem. ie devices attached to USB ports trying to take too much power and causing the power supply to overload, hence the crashing.

AIRJAM 15:36 16 Mar 05

There is an option to charge the player from the USB(which works, by the way!!) but it is turned off when attempting to connect.

rickf 17:13 16 Mar 05

This may be overkill but maybe upgrading to SP2 to help as a last resort. I am assuming that other USB devices are connecting ok to your PC apart from the iRiver.

TomJerry 17:26 16 Mar 05

USB ports can be in different places

Some are just a part of motherboard (the one in the back). Those one are usually good and no problem, if you have problem with those one, you need to upgrade motherboard driver and hence usb driver.

Some usb ports are provided by an extension board (normally on front), I found those ports will cause trouble. They work with usb1 devices, but PC just freeze or crash when plug in a usb 2 device.

This is my experience.

AIRJAM 12:00 17 Mar 05

Have upgraded to SP2 in the past, but then found ny scanner wasn't recognised (!!) so reverted to SP1. Also, PC freezes whether I plug it into the back or front USB ports.

AIRJAM 20:02 19 Mar 05

Just installed an old USB card and guess what - my mp3 player is recognised !! I am now left wondering if there is something wrong with my built-in USB ports ??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…