mp3 opening in QuickTime -I'm confused!

mco 23:55 09 Feb 06

I recorded some speeches to put on a site. On my laptop they play in windows media player - as mp3s. Indeed in the 'properties' it says open with windows media player. But when I uploaded them to my site they play in Quick Time -which I don't want. Any idea why, and how I can get them to play in windows media player?

yvonnecoy 07:55 10 Feb 06

am i correct in assumeing that the little quicktime bar show on your web page when you click the link.

i think you would have to make them either downloadable or .wma format to have them play in windows media player

mco 08:09 10 Feb 06

Yes, the little quicktime bar shows and then they play. However, I just tried my page at work on work's pc and they are in windows media player here. Obviously a problem on my laptop - some settings must have changed without my knowledge, but only on these speeches. ???

ade.h 17:46 10 Feb 06

It would normally only be affected by a particular visitor's file associations; if they choose to use WMP as their default player for MP3 files, then that is normally what will happen. But it also depends on how you have implemented these files. Are they just streams or have you used any kind of plugin?

mco 18:14 10 Feb 06

I don't understand the term 'plug-ins'sorry! I recorded these speeches as mp3 and just ftp'd them up to my site. On the laptop as files they play in windows media, which is my default player for mp3, so I really don't get why they're doing this on my own laptop from my own site!

ade.h 18:16 10 Feb 06

So you haven't used plugins on your site, in that case. That's fine. Just wanted to know.

mco 19:31 10 Feb 06

Even more confused now! Mp3 files open in Windows media player on my laptop in Opera -but still in quicktime in Internet Explorer. I tried IE tools/internet options/add-ons and disabled quicktime, thinking that it would then HAVE to open in windows media player - but now I just get the red cross instead! So I deduce it is a problem personal to my laptop and my internet explorer! Any more suggestions out there please?

mco 19:46 10 Feb 06

Am I allowed to post this in the helproom as well?

ade.h 19:46 10 Feb 06

Most file associations are affected only be what's set in Windows and/or the programs that can handle those files. But in the case of media files in websites, the browser influences it as well. I assume you have Firefox, right? Have a look at how firefox is configured to handle downloads, and you'll see what I mean. It's influenced both by the type of browser and by the users preferences. For example; if I donloaded your files, they would automatically play in Jet Audio, but if they were WMA files, they would simply be saved to a folder of my choosing and not no media player would be launched at all. To a great extent, you are at the mercy of user prefs, unless you want them to play in a plugin. Have a look at NOF's plugins for more on that.

mco 20:41 10 Feb 06

I don't (at this moment!) care about other users' preferences; I just want to be able to play my own mp3 files from my own site on my own laptop using IE and windows media player not quick time!! Something has altered the settings of my audio files on this one of my websites such that they now play in quicktime not mediaplayer and I can't figure it out.

PurplePenny 21:54 10 Feb 06

When you played them on your laptop and they played in Media Player were you accessing them from a local copy of your site or do you mean that you were just playing the mp3 files themselves?

If you were playing the mp3 files themselves (not a link on a web page) then the difference is that the file played according to Windows file association for mp3.

Then when you play the same file from the web site it played according to the browser's file association for that file type.

In which case nothing has altered the settings on your laptop, it is using a different set of settings!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…