MP3 Music sites

RamUK 13:41 22 Feb 04

As a complete novice to downloading MP3 files. I see there are a lot of sites out there that offer free music and films for a one off payment of around £15. How can they do this when they have to pay royalties? There is little info about the sites at the front end so I am wondering whether a) they ustilise a premium dial up system or b) there's little decent stuff behind the front page worth paying for.

Also, does anybody know whether with broadband some sites can switch to a premium dial up without your knowledge and be charging you from the start?

If anybody can help me out on this I'd be grateful.

Flaco 14:43 22 Feb 04

There is indeed an increasing number of media content download sites coming online now. However, not all the major music labels/studios have decided to take the plunge, probably because of issues such as Digital Rights Management to protect the content copyright, etc. Depending on what sort of stuff you're into, many of the sites today may not serve your interests sufficiently.

Unless it's clearly stated that they are using a Premium dial-up (check carefuly), the bulk of their revenue will be derived from advertising, so you also need to check whether your system is going to be loaded up with adware, spyware and lots of annoying pop-ups if you subscribe. If premium dial-up issues are a concern to you (and there are hijack cases documented), get on to your phone service provider and ask them to automatically block your line from making outgoing premium calls. With BT I think it costs about £1.50 per month (or per quater, not sure).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…