mp3 file size?

Ballie 19:44 19 Sep 05

I would like to ask 2 questions. I am recording some of my cd's on to a 1GB SD card to use in my car's mp3 player.

Firstly what is the best file size to use, Win/MP can rip mp3's in 128,192,256 and 320kbps I have been using 192 but will 128 or 320 sound any different?

Secondly, the files I have already ripped in 192kbps is there a way I can convert them to say 128kbps or do I have to use the cd and rip them all over again?

DieSse 19:47 19 Sep 05

128 is more than enough for in-car.

GaT7 20:06 19 Sep 05

"...will 128 or 320 sound any different?" - try it out yourself. I cannot tell the difference, but I'm no audiophile.

"..is there a way I can convert them to say 128kbps.." - yes, you can use this free program to do it - Audacity click here. You'll need to download the LAME MP3 plugin & install it:

<<How do I download and install the LAME MP3 encoder?

Because of software patents, we cannot distribute MP3 encoding software ourselves. Follow these instructions to use the free LAME encoder to export MP3 files with Audacity.

For Windows:

- Go to the LAME download page - click here

- Click on any link from the list of identical "lame-3.96.1" links.

- When you have finished downloading LAME, unzip it and save the file lame_enc.dll anywhere on your computer.

- The first time you use the "Export as MP3" command, Audacity will ask you where lame_enc.dll is saved.>>

G

Monoux 20:11 19 Sep 05

bookmarked

octal 20:15 19 Sep 05

DieSse has answered your first question, it is possible to convert them to the lower bit rate using this programme click here its not free, but someone might be able to find a free one for you. Having said that its only $10 or about six quid in real money.

octal 20:17 19 Sep 05

Thanks Crossbow7, I use LAME on my Linux, I didn't know it was available for Windows.

Ballie 20:51 19 Sep 05

thanks guys.

GaT7 20:52 19 Sep 05

I originally suggested Audacity as I thought most folks are usually interested in a free program.

But there's another versatile program I use, that will also alter MP3 bitrate(kbps) & much more, called dBpowerAmp Music Converter (dMC) click here.

dMC's MP3 encoder & 'Power Pack' is on a 30-day free trial & loses these features at the end of the trial, but one can purchase these for as little as £8 (or $14 click here) & own the complete program. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…