MP3 File Size

Canberra100 12:30 08 Aug 04

I thought I had a reasonable understanding of how audio files work, although I am very much a beginner so could you help.

I recently subscribed to RUSC in the US where I can download old time radio programmes and serial stories. I am currently only able to burn 60 minutes of audio onto a CD, which sounds about right except when I look at the properties and see they are MP3 audio files with a file size of 5.5mb. I was under the impression I could burn more files on a CD because they were smaller in size.

It's obvious to those who know I clearly haven't a clue about file formats etc.

Could someone explain where I have gone wrong in my understanding of audio files or point me in the right direction

Many Thanks

christmascracker 12:34 08 Aug 04

I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that you will have to burn the MP3's as data files

Canberra100 12:49 08 Aug 04

Thanks Christmascracker

I will try it and see what happens

Totally-braindead 13:58 08 Aug 04

christmas cracker is correct you burn the MP3 files as data and you leave the disk open ie make it multisession so you can add stuff on later, you will be able to get a full cd full of audio. If you burn a multisession disk I'm not sure if the disk will play in your hifi until it actually closed and finished with though.

leo49 14:12 08 Aug 04

If you only wish to play the discs on your PC then you can burn as data.

However, domestic cdplayers don't read/play mp3 format files burnt as data.

To play on domestic players you must burn an audio disc.During the burning process the small mp3 files on HDD are converted[ie uncompressed]to audio format.

All the info you require is here:

click here

Totally-braindead 14:18 08 Aug 04

Unless leo49 the domestic cd player is MP3/CDR compatible as some of the newer ones are.

leo49 14:22 08 Aug 04

Of course - but 99.9% of current HIfi CDplayers don't have that facility.

Totally-braindead 14:27 08 Aug 04

Point taken. And of course you are correct. If your Cd player is not the very latest Canberra 100 then you will need to burn the cd as audio in order to play it in your hifi, but if you save burning them until you have enough audio to burn an entire disk then you'll get a lot more on it. Is this what you are trying to do?

Smiler 14:30 08 Aug 04

But most domestic dvd players are capable of reading and playing mp3 files

Canberra100 15:43 08 Aug 04

Thanks to everyone for their advice, I shall get cracking this afternoon and see what happens.

Regards to all

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:14 08 Aug 04

'However, domestic cdplayers don't read/play mp3 format files burnt as data'....I have two DVD players that I bought for £35 each and they play MP3 files....and Jpegs and all manner of audio etc., etc. :-)))))))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…