mp3 compression

pinda 22:24 29 Jan 05

hi. i have bought a rio carbon 5gb hard disk player i want to know how to compress it.

Totally-braindead 22:39 29 Jan 05

You want to know how to compress what? Do you want to make MP3s from CD and are asking what bitrate to use or are you asking where to get software to create MP3s? Please explain what you mean.

pinda 22:43 29 Jan 05

i want 2 kw hw to compress the storage on the player

Totally-braindead 22:50 29 Jan 05

I'm sorry pinda I don't know if you can do it or why you would want to 5 gig is pretty big at 128k you would be able to get about 1250 songs on it. I presume what you want to do is compress the data which you put on the player to get more on, I'll have to leave this for someone else because I don't know if you can do it.

Tim1964 22:52 29 Jan 05

mp3s and wma's et al are already compressed to make them as small a file as poss in the first place. Do you mean 'format it' so it will accept the data onto it?

pinda 22:54 29 Jan 05

noooo i want 2 kw how 2 increase the storage space on the player it self its 5gb at the moment

Mr Scone 23:07 29 Jan 05

You cannot really increase the space on the HDD player. All you can do to get more mp3s/wma files on your player is encode them at a lower bitrate.

Totally-braindead 23:14 29 Jan 05

You could download the files off the MP3 player and convert them from MP3s to wma files, I haven't tried it myself but am given to understand that wma files are significantly smaller than MP3 ones. I think what you're looking for is a way to compress the files on the MP3 player in a similar way as you can do with files on a Windows computer. What I cannot say is whether this is possible, the other thing is, if it can be done will you then be able to play the files back without uncompressing them. I think the answer would be no but see if someone else knows the answers you seek.

THE TERMINATOR 23:26 29 Jan 05

Hello, what version of windows do you have? And what file system does the rio carbon have? If the rio carbon has the NTFS file system then I'm affraid that's as good as it will get. However if it is FAT32 and you have windows XP then you could format the drive with NTFS file system. You could ZIP the files, if you have windows XP but I doubt they would play on the player as it would not read the track. So if the drive is NTFS then I'm affraid you'll have to get a player with a bigger drive to get more tracks on it, but as said above, why would you want more than 1250?....TT

THE TERMINATOR 23:31 29 Jan 05

But you could only format the drive to NTFS if the rio will support this format....TT

Tim1964 00:02 01 Feb 05

If it's out of warranty you can always fit a larger HDD.

If 5Gb wasn't big enough in the first place then a 20Gb model may have been the better buy.
My 20Gb player has about 2500 songs on it but with 'other stuff' like backups of data/photos etc I have about 9Gb left.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…