MP3 to .cda Audio

Pesala 17:42 31 Mar 03

I know this has been asked before, and I have done a search, but I still have some questions about how to get what I want.

I have a number of talks in MP3 format. I want to collect them as an Audio CD. I have permission from the Copyright holder.

The files are large: average 20 Mbytes

Will MP3 files expand if converted to .cda?

What software should I use. I have Roxio CD Creator 5, and Windows Media Player 9.

SurgicalSpirit 18:02 31 Mar 03

I would think yes, get hold of a trial versin of nero burning rom from click here and drag one file over to see what size it will be on the cd. you will see what i mean when you try it

Pesala 19:14 31 Mar 03

I am not keen on installing Nero. Windows ME is notoriously unstable, and there may well be a conflict between Roxio and Nero. I should be able to achieve what I want with Roxio or Media Player.

leo49 19:27 31 Mar 03

They will of course expand when burnt as an Audio CD - by how much depends upon the bitrate of the original MP3. To give a rough idea a high bitrate/quality MP3 expands by 5/6 times, a much lower quality one[and therefore smaller] maybe 10 times.

Pesala 19:45 31 Mar 03

Thanks Leo for that. It looks as if producing an audio CD is not very feasible. There are 30 talks, a total of nearly 500 Mbytes. If they expand on average by six times, that would allow only about five talks on each CD. Each talk is about 1 hour.

Handy for playing in the car, but I prefer to have them all on one or two CDs if possible. With a data CD, I will be able to produce an HTML interface too, with some pictures, a bit of biodata, and a summary of each talk.

leo49 19:54 31 Mar 03

Bear in mind you're being optimistic there in terms of final size - I would expect talks to have been encoded at a low rate so that the multiplier could very well be 10 or more.

One concrete example: I have the episodes of Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy as MP3, each half hour episode encoded at 56kbs[a very low rate] is approx. 12mb in size and expands to 299mbs for burning as Audio!

crx16 19:56 31 Mar 03

when recording an audio CD,you need to look at the time of the music and not the file can have 74 minutes of music on an audio CD.

crx16 19:57 31 Mar 03

i should say 74 minutes on a 650MB disc,and 80 on a 700MB disc.

Pesala 19:58 31 Mar 03

One talk on each CD, and some won't fit. Only one way to go. Thanks everyone.

crx16 20:03 31 Mar 03

there are some 90 min/789MB discs and 99 min/869MB discs available,but not all burners support them,and im not sure if a hi-fi could read them? click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…