Mp3 Bitrate

SteevScotland 15:43 01 Oct 03

I have a large collection of Mp3s. Most are encoded at 192kbps. I would like to save some space on my HD.

Would dropping the bitrate to 128kbps give a noticable drop in quality? Im playing the Mp3s on bog standard PC speakers at present so I cant tell the differance. But I plan to transfer the Mp3s over to an entertainment hub PC connected to quality speakers in the future so would there be a differance when using these?

Cheers S

JFT 15:55 01 Oct 03

Why not re-encode them as Ogg Vorbis, that way you will save disk space but wont lose any quality by lowering the bitrate!

SteevScotland 16:02 01 Oct 03

I did consider. But my Mp3 player doesnt support Ogg Vorbis. What about WMA? I think i read somewhere that a 64kbps WMA file was the same Quality as a 128Mp3. or am I talking rubbish?

Cheers S

JFT 16:13 01 Oct 03

Try Jet Audio Player, it supports Ogg Vorbis and lots of other compression standards.Highly recommended !
click here

Simsy 16:35 01 Oct 03

tha mp3 files, so that is not the way to go.

Try saving a file with a different name, downsample it and compare with the original. There WILL be a difference, but it depends on your hearing "skills" whether you will be able to notice it.

Regards,

Simsy

JFT 16:43 01 Oct 03

WAV files?

SteevScotland 16:45 01 Oct 03

Sorry JFT I meant my portable Mp3 Player.

WAV files are not the same as WMA. I thought WMA was microsoft's answer to Mp3.

I have tried the two bitrates on my pc but the speakers are too poor for decent audio anyway. Over the next few months I will be hooking another PC up to an amp and Speakers on my sound system so Thats when any quality drop will be obvious.

Cheers S

rickf 16:48 01 Oct 03

WMA takes less space. My bitrate is 128 and I have always found it to be adequate.

JFT 16:50 01 Oct 03

Steev lowering the bitrate to 128kbs wont lose you too much in the way of quality!

Simsy 17:03 01 Oct 03

I misread WMA as WAV....

Regards,

Simsy

krypt1c 18:20 01 Oct 03

To some extent it depends on the kind of music you listen to. You could try using vbr (variable bit rate} as a compromise option. This encodes at higher / lower bit rate depending on the highs / lows in the source.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…