MP11 will not recognise burner

lee99 10:48 11 Dec 06

I've got a brand new dual core system here (from pcnextday) with top notch branded components, other than the CD/DVD RW which although quick is unbranded. I installed MP11 and although I can listen to and rip from CD's/DVD's, I am unable to burn. Clicking the burner tab brings up the message "connect a burner and restart the player".

In TOOLS, OPTIONS, DEVICES, the drive is sitting there quite happily so MP11 knows it is there - it just won't let me use it!

I've scoured the internet for answers and it seems that Microsoft only approve of certain makes of drive and won't let MP burn on 'un-approved' makes.

They don't provide a work-around.

Anyone got any ideas how I can make this work? I like MP11 apart from this and don't really want to clutter up my PC with loads of different burner packages etc.

Thanks.

Stuartli 11:20 11 Dec 06

WMP 10 requires you to go to Tools>Options>Devices tab>highlight your drive>Recording tab and (to) Enable Recording on this Drive - must be something similar in WMP11.

Stuartli 11:22 11 Dec 06

If you have Nero there is a Nero plug-in for Windows Media Player. See:

click here

€dstowe 11:26 11 Dec 06

I would never even think of using the XP or WMP burning facilities.

Use an independent program such as Nero - will save you a lot of heartache.

lee99 19:30 11 Dec 06

Thanks for the swift replies!

Stuartli, I've got the Nero plug-in but even with that its not recognising the burner. Also, the Recording Tab isn't there - the Microsoft site simply says that if it ain't approved, it won't show. Or words to that effect.

€dstowe, I understand what you mean, but I kind of like the playlists etc that I've got in MP11 and ideally I'd like a one-stop-shop for the limited buring that I'll be doing. I've got Nero, but I'm not really keen on the interface etc for MP3's.

Microsoft must have their reasons for this block I suppose, so I'll just have to get on with what I've got!

Thanks for your help.

Lee.

Stuartli 21:21 11 Dec 06

>>"connect a burner and restart the player".>>

Are you quite sure it's a rewriter?

I know it's a daft question, but it just might only be a ROM drive; system builders can and do make mistakes.

Windows System Information would provide the details.

lee99 22:50 11 Dec 06

Yes its definitely a CD/DVD RW. I am able to write through other programs, which may make you wonder why I've even bothered to start this thread....I just don't see why I can't use MP11 when its a brand new system etc.

I'm not a PC novice but nor am I an expert, and I'd really like to be able to just use MP11, which I'm quite happy with so far (apart from this one problem). I've got all the usual suspects cluttering up my PC already - Realplayer etc and didn't really want to have to abandon MP11 and move over to itunes or anything else.

Stuartli 23:04 11 Dec 06

A new DVD-RW drive is £20 or just under these days - might be worth buying one and using the current rewriter for audio CDs, software installation etc if you really need to use WMP.

I know it would probably hurt after buying a new system...:-)

Or perhaps the supplier will change the rewriter for an established make such as Sony?

lee99 23:08 11 Dec 06

Yes I think you're probably spot on there to be honest. I don't think Microsoft are going to be releasing any patches to resolve this in the near future since MP11 has really just been out for a short time.

I've sent an email to pcnextday already asking for any info, but as you'll know, they're not the speediest at replying.

I'll probably make do until the warranty is up then fit a second drive from a big name if the situation remains the same.

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…