//some 3rd party need geo

Mozilla and Netscape

Bebee 13:10 31 Mar 03

Are there advantages to using the Mozilla browser (downloaded from the Mozilla.org site) over using the full Netscape 7 browser? - Or to put it the other way are there disadvantages to the Netscape version?

I am running Windows ME and IE6 at the moment.

Any comments/ideas appreciated.

Thanks

golfpro 13:36 31 Mar 03

Try "Opera", I use it alongside Int. Explorer and find it is much quicker browsing, the basic version is also free, click on click here

Bebee 13:47 31 Mar 03

Thanks golfpro

I have looked at Opera briefly. Not to keen on the adverts in the free version. You say you run it alongside IE - out of interest, when do you use IE instead? Is there any need to keep it on the system at all?

I might give Opera another look.

€dstow 14:38 31 Mar 03

I don't find the adverts in the free version of Opera at all intrusive (unlike some other websites).

I have IE, Netscape, Opera and Mozilla. Mostly because when we do web work we need to check on several browsers that the site works.

For a long time now, I have used Opera as my browser of choice, not least because it has a very effective popup stopper. It is also claimed to be quicker than IE but I've not really noticed this.

€d

Bebee 14:43 31 Mar 03

Mozilla/Netscape have popup stoppers as well. The Netscape version is a lot larger, but I wondered if aspects of it need not be installed e.g messenger. Opera certainly seems a lot lighter. Do you use it as an email client aswell?

dth 15:59 31 Mar 03

I would choose Mozila - as Netscape (uses the same base) but adds a few extra not needed bits.

€dstow 16:17 31 Mar 03

I do use Opera mail but I find it somewhat lacking in facilities. May be the way I'm using it.

I use Netscape mail as well. Not tried the Mozilla mail yet.

OE is my default email client.

€d

Bebee 17:00 31 Mar 03

Thanks for the comments so far.

Most people that I have come across who use Mozilla/Netscape/Opera seem to use IE/OE as well. I can see the need if you develop web sites, but I wondered if there are others out there who have chosen to use one of them exclusively, and what their thoughts are.

bebee

dth 17:16 31 Mar 03

Bebee - It is really down to what you are used to. I prefer Mozila and never use IE (except at work) but as IE is included on nearly all P/Cs most people use it. For example I have set up the Linux o/s on a spare p/c at home and really like it - included is the open office package. This is pretty much like MS office but I hate it as am so used to using MS office.

Bebee 17:29 31 Mar 03

dth
See your point there. I have much the same experience with MS Office. I used Star Office at home for a while - great for the price! But just out of familiarity I tend to stick with MS Office.

I've run Mozilla for a few hours now and it is more instinctive to use a new browser than office program, and I like the pop up blocking. The arrangement of the mail client looks good as well - each address in a differnt folder. I've changed my default address recently to avoid the spam building up but I need to run it for a while longer to pick up any genuine mail I've missed. This would seperate it nicely.

My main query originally was whether the Netscape version had any advantages/disadvantages. I think you've probably confirmed what I thought though - I'll just have to try them for a while and see how I get on.

Any comments meanwhile would still be welcome. I'll mark it as resolved later on.

Bebee 21:17 31 Mar 03

Thanks for the comments.

I've tried Netscape 7 and decided I prefer Mozilla. Netscape is bulky and adds junk I don't want. I think I'll give Opera a run as well and then make up my mind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…