Mozilla Firefox consistently crashing - won't open

wildhouse 18:07 12 Dec 10

I have been using Mozilla Firefox as it is consistently faster and better than IE. However, yestserday, it crashed and unlike when this usually happens, I have been unable to get it to work since (about 24 hours). Every time I try to open it it crashes - occasionally I glimpse a page for a few seconds then it crashes again. Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:23 12 Dec 10

Can you open it in safemode from the start menu?

tullie 19:01 12 Dec 10

HJave you tried installing again?

Graphicool1 19:15 12 Dec 10

You could un-instal and re-instal.

VoG II 19:34 12 Dec 10

Corrupted profile click here

wildhouse 19:36 12 Dec 10

I was unable to open it in safe mode, either. Firefox' website suggests a possible virus although they are unable to pinpoint a specific name for it! My final option will be to uninstall and re-install but thought I would post in case anyone else has had a similar problem. I am still able to use IE8 and Google Chrome - both being very slow today but put that down to being Sunday with lots of people online!

robertmonkford 19:50 12 Dec 10

I run Vista Ultimate in 64-bit guise and installed the 64-bit version of mozilla. I had the same problem as you. After months of banging my head against a wall (metaphorically speaking), a friend advised me to install the 32-bit version instead (after uninstalling the 64-bit).

I uninstalled, rebooted, installed 32-bit version of Mozilla, rebooted and since then it's been problem free. Very strange. Hope it helps.

wildhouse 19:59 12 Dec 10

Have no idea whether I have the 32 or 64 bit version, just know it is version 3.6! Am using Windows XP. Will try later to install and re-install.

wildhouse 23:50 12 Dec 10

Just uninstalled having ticked 'Remove my Firefox personal data etc'. Seems to be working apart from an unresponsive script I had to end using the Task Manager, so fingers crossed! Thanks all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…