Moving XP Pro

crosstrainer 16:48 06 Nov 06

Is it possible to move all data os included and change all boot paths using the admin console? I have 2 SATA 250gb hdds and the C drive is in the process of dying... bad clusters appear daily and the system reboots at frequent intervals. I would really like to avoid reinstallation if possible

Thanks
Jeff

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 06 Nov 06

Use Acronis true image or XXcopy to copy everything to the other drive and then physically swap the connections.

johndrew 17:17 06 Nov 06

Why not simply clone the drive using something like Acronis True Image. You then get a mirror of your existing drive and it`s so easy.

crosstrainer 17:19 06 Nov 06

Thanks a lot.. where can I get a copy of Acronis?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:49 06 Nov 06
  GaT7 18:10 06 Nov 06

Or, the free Paragon Drive Copy 8 Personal SE click here may suffice. G

More useful freebies:
* Paragon Exact Image 7 SE click here
* Paragon Partition Manager 2005 click here

johndrew 20:06 06 Nov 06

Or look at this for good value click here

johndrew 20:08 06 Nov 06

I should add that I use V 9.0 and that will do what you want and backup everything for the future.

crosstrainer 20:17 06 Nov 06

I swapped the cables, dragged everything off that I needed (not much really) and re-installed windows, however I still got one spontaneous re-boot but am now formating the dodgy drive, as soon as norton or spyware doctor look at it the system re-boots when flattened should be ok, it was empty anyway and just out of guarantee (typical!) I will remove it and replace later in the week

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…