Moving XP folders whilst maintaining associations

tallboy 23:10 25 Oct 06

I have recently added a number of applications to my PC (running XP with NTFS) that set up their own folders for my user data on the 'C' drive.

I would like to move these folders to my 'D' drive (to make backing up easier - without backing up the application) whilst maintaining associations & pointer links with the application.

Is there a way of doing this with XP, or a s/w package than can do it for me?

Any suggestions most welcome.

Tallboy

Technotiger 23:19 25 Oct 06

Hi, I believe Acronis True Image can handle individual items for backup purposes. Though I have not yet used it myself.

Cheers.

Simsy 06:22 26 Oct 06

It might be that some of what you want to achieve can be done from within the application... for example in "Word", via Tools>Options>File locations you can change where templates are stored...

If this isn't available it may be possible to make the alterations using the registry. If you can find the existing path to one of the relevant folders in the registry, the application might still work if you move the folder and change the registry path accordingly...

However, in some instances this might not be possible because the relative path to a folder might be "hard coded" into the application, rather than looked for via the registry.

Don't make changes to the registry without backing up first, and knowing how to restore that backup!

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

tallboy 08:49 26 Oct 06

Thanks for the suggestions Technotiger and Simsy. I'll give them a try (when I have backed up my registry)and update this thread accordingly.

Tallboy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…