Moving User folders in W7

The Mountaineer 13:21 24 Nov 09

Hi All, just got my shiny new Dell i7 processor 64 Bit W7 laptop, created a new partition for data and ........ can't work out how to move the user folder (Brian) which contains the usual My Docs, My Music, My Pics etc to the new partition. I can move each of these individually but wonder if I'm messing something up by doing it. A web search suggested using 3rd party tweak programmes but I'm not so keen on that yet.
Has anyone done this yet or know how?
Ta

The Mountaineer 14:45 24 Nov 09

I probably should have said W7 Home premium, dont know if that makes a difference

mimosa418 16:19 24 Nov 09

It is faily simple to do

click here

The Mountaineer 16:38 24 Nov 09

mimosa, this describes how to move a single folder, which I know how to do. As I said above I'm trying to move everything en mass inside my User/Brian folder and not leave the user/Brian folder behind on the C drive which could result in duplicate folders and files being created(I've read)

Simsy 18:21 24 Nov 09

advice on how to do it, that was very complex!

I'll try and find it again and post a link...

Basically it is a way of "cheating" NTFS... You somehow instruct the drive that when you want to put something at "position x" on the drive, (i.e. the User folder), it actually diverts to "position y", your data drive.

AS I say it's complex, and I haven't yet tried it myself, but I intend to!

Regards,

Simsy

chub_tor 18:29 24 Nov 09

A couple of links here might help

click here

and

click here

both seem too advanced for me to add any meaninful comment.

The Mountaineer 19:02 24 Nov 09

Simsy and chub_tor thanks for your comments.
chub_tor, you seem to have maybe inadvertently found the answer, though I hardly believe what I'm seeing!
On one of your links I found another link to click here which tells you to create a new folder on the new partition, copy and MOVE the folders from the OS partition User folder. Then, although you still see the folders in the user folder (as well as the new folder) if you right click on any folder and look at Properties its location is now on the new partition!
I've just read that back and even I dont follow it! Have a read of the link, it worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…