moving and routers

sunnystaines 07:20 27 Jun 13

when moving home but keeping same isp is it a case of just plugging in the router or will the router need to be reconfigued from scratch again.

[using belkin router and taltalk isp]

Graphicool1 09:59 27 Jun 13

sunnystaines

Try it and see, if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. I recently moved and this is what I did, it worked for me.

Ian in Northampton 10:02 27 Jun 13

I'd assume your ISP needs to know your new landline number - or perhaps not?

Chronos the 2nd 10:32 27 Jun 13

Should just work.

Chronos the 2nd 10:34 27 Jun 13

Oops posted early.

Should just work, but of course we all know that that usually means the total opposite.

sunnystaines 11:11 27 Jun 13

thanks for all replies i will be using the same belkin router, found the talktalk issue one had poor wifi. early days but i wlll post the result

sunnystaines 11:12 27 Jun 13

new area phone number not yet known.

spuds 13:11 27 Jun 13

The main thing to remember is informing TalkTalk 'in plenty of time' about the move, otherwise you might not have a connection on arrival or for a few days?.

Would also mention, with TalkTalk there are, or were not, any contractual penalties for moving home. Other ISP's might have different terms and conditions with reference to moving home or business?.

wiz-king 13:32 27 Jun 13

Have you arranged for broadband at the new phone? Otherwise it wont work.

Graphicool1 13:48 27 Jun 13

When I moved last year, there wasn't a line going to the property. When it was connected I couldn't get Broadband because it was a shared line. It is a small village in Norfolk and all single lines suitable for Broadband had been taken. They had to bring a new line in from the exchange, just for us. That took a week, then we had to wait another couple of weeks to get them to connect it to the bungalow. When someone eventually came to do it, they found that our line had been used for someone else. So they had to run yet another line from the exchange.

It was a nightmare that went on for months. During which time we didn't have a landline and the only mobiles we could get a signal on here were 'Vodafone' and they will only work if we go up into the loft. I think you'll all agree when I say, it wasn't a very satifactory situation!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos