Moving programmes from my pc to laptop

stu1162 10:12 15 Dec 05

How do I go about copying programmes from my old pc to my new laptop.
My pc has two usb connections.
Is it a case of copying onto cd's but where do i go to find the programme to copy.
Can i do the same with my incredimail programme.
Thanks

PaulB2005 10:14 15 Dec 05

You would need to reinstall the programs on your laptop. You can't just copy them across.

You can burn the installation programs onto CD or just download them from the authors sites or from sites like click here to the laptop.

Finally you can use a USB Bridge cable but if you have a CD Writer then theres no point in wasting more money.

Do you have a program like Nero or Easy CD installed? What version of Windows is the PC running?

stu1162 10:24 15 Dec 05

Thanks PaulB2005,

I do have nero6 and I am using windows 98se.
Would I be able to download them again if i enter the same details on registration.
Where do I go to find the installation programmes.
Thanks

PaulB2005 10:29 15 Dec 05

Depends where you got the programs from?

"Would I be able to download them again if i enter the same details on registration."

Not sure what registration you mean.

Which programs do you want to transfer?

Do you not have a CDs that came with the PC that might already have the programs on them?

Daibus 10:32 15 Dec 05

Would you get a good result if you just transferred an image that you´ve made with Acronis TI from your desktop, onto the laptop?

PaulB2005 10:35 15 Dec 05

No. The motherboard drivers would be totally different which can cause many problems and i presume the laptop has XP which would be lost. Also there might be other complications with drives letter assignments...

stu1162 10:40 15 Dec 05

PaulB2005,

Programmes such as incredimail, avast antivirus, c-cleaner, zonealarm. Would I be able to copy them and reinstall them on my laptop, if so how do I go about it.
Thanks

PaulB2005 10:46 15 Dec 05

Probably easier to just re-download them from the sites if you have broadband.

You must have downloaded these in the first place so you need to find the original file you downloaded and burn that to CD. Then you can copy them to the laptop and run the installers to install to the laptop.

Gongoozler 10:47 15 Dec 05

stu1162, just download them to any computer. You can then copy the downloaded installation files to the laptop and install them.

Avast click here

Ccleaner click here

ZoneAlarm click here

Also you should have AdAware click here

Daibus 10:48 15 Dec 05

Many thanks for the reply PaulB2005 and will keep an eye on this subject stu1162.

stu1162 10:53 15 Dec 05

Thanks for your help PaulB2005, Gongoozler and I will keep checking the thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…