moving programmes

compy 11:59 22 Feb 04

I want to move complete programmes from one partition to another.
Anyne kmow of a programme that will do this?

Geoff_T 12:08 22 Feb 04

I think Norton Cleansweep gives you the facility to replicate a program from one computer to another so it should be able to do what you want. I've never tried it though!

Geoff

Paranoid Android 12:10 22 Feb 04

My best advice would be don't do it. But if you must, dig out a copy of Partition Magic which has a utility called Drive Mapper. This will allow you to change all the references from the old drive to the new one after you have moved them.
Better still, older versions came with a thing called MagicMover which did it all for you.
Usual caveats apply.

Marvin

Forum Editor 12:10 22 Feb 04

and reinstall it to the new partition. Installers put keys in your Windows registry, and unravelling these entries can be incredibly complex. The otential for error is huge, and it's just not worth the effort. Reinstallation isn't really that onerous, and you'll be glad you did it that way.

Peter 13:24 22 Feb 04

Several programmes (Quaterdeck's [now Norton's] Cleansweep) and Partition Magic's Drive Mapper, among others promised to do this, but as Forum Editor has indicated a reinstall is the best solution.

Take the opportunity to do a major rearrangement, but as ever, take a COMPLETE backup, preferably a Norton Ghost image or a Drive Image. Then if, or should I say, when all hell lets loose you can get back to where you started.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…