Moving program files from "C" drive

johnem 20:30 27 Sep 06

I am sure that this has been answered on previous occassions, but...
Is it practical or wise to attempt to move all of the program files from the C drive to another drive or partition. Also is it practical to make the new program file location, the default one so that any new program installations are pointed to the new location. I appreciate that some install routine give you the option to specify the location, however some programs do not and default to the C location. Any ideas/advice please.

VoG II 20:34 27 Sep 06

click here entirely at your own risk!!!

johnem 20:45 27 Sep 06

VoG™,
Thanks for the speedy reply. From your comment, I take this as being somewhat risky.
I have read somewhere that you can use Tweak UI to redirect the program files to a new location, but I am not sure if this move is capable of completing the re-direction. I have created a new folder on a different partition and have successfully installed programes to that location.
It was just a thought that when I re-install XP again soon and then use Acronis True image 8 to create a backup off the XP, it would take less time to re-instal if all of the programs files were elsewhere.

SANTOS7 20:54 27 Sep 06

Your theory is somewhat flawed if you make a back up which is obviously a good idea it is not a good idea to have it on the same HDD whether it is partitioned or not.
If your HDD fails you are left with nothing.
To keep your files and folders and indeed an image of your O/S, Removable media or a second HDD may serve you better..

VoG II 20:57 27 Sep 06

Personally I would only try this if I was going to start again - reformat, install Windows, install software. Otherwise I would consider it extremely risky and would certainly create a restore point first.

johnem 21:01 27 Sep 06

SANTOS7
Thanks for the info. Sorry, forgot to mention that my "new" program files folder is on a separate partition on my second hard drive. It would be my intention to temporarily use Acronis to make the backup to a partition on my second hard drive and then burn it to DVD.

johnem 21:06 27 Sep 06

VoG™
Once again, thanks for speedy reply.
This was to be my intention during the next clean instal of XP to try to locate all programs on a partition of second hard drive, so that if I have to re-instal XP at any point in the future, I would be able to do so without having to re-install all of the other software.
I guess that even without installing any other software, there are still quite a lot of Windows associated programs/files already pre-installed on the "C" drive!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…