Moving program from C partition to other partition

Newuser1970 19:49 15 Dec 04

Can anyone recommend a program that will allow you to move programs from the C partition to another partition without having to uninstal and and reinstall?

Technotiger 19:59 15 Dec 04

Hi, I am not sure but I think a Program called Partition Magic might do this? Cheers

Newuser1970 20:08 15 Dec 04

Thanks Technotiger
I have PM 8 and have moved programs by copy and paste (no other buttons available). The programs work fine along as the originals are still on the C drive but when these are removed the copies display errors and have to be repaired.

Technotiger 20:17 15 Dec 04

Hi again, sorry I could not be of more help.
Though personally I would go the uninstall/reinstall route to be sure all were done properly. Cheers.

GaT7 20:30 15 Dec 04

This is what I use: COA2 (Change of Address) - click here. It works well for 90-95% of programs (& OSes Win9x to Win2K. Not sure it'll work on WinXP but worth a try). If you cannot d'load from above link send me a message (use little yellow envelope next to my username) & I'll get back to you. G

Ivor_Monkey 23:27 15 Dec 04

What about xxcopy? It does a number of things.

Jeffers22 00:15 16 Dec 04

PM can move the entire contents of one partition to another, not individual progs. That's a big ask, the prog has to know all the registry entries created by a piece of software and know all the dlls it puts in the windows, system or system32 folder (and anything else too) and move the lot to the new drive plus re-reference the registry entries. Don't know of anything that does that. I would advise the uninstall and reinstall, first saving as much of your prog settings as possible.

Stuartli 08:39 16 Dec 04

Norton Ghost will do as you require.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…