Moving the Paging file

Big B 19:01 02 Jun 05

Hi all has anybody got any thoughts on the + and - of moving the paging file to my second hard drive , I mean does it make a noticable speed difference , more stable machine or what or are the overall benefits neglible.

dan11 19:07 02 Jun 05

One of the main pluses is that it will cut down the fragmentation of files on your main hard drive. It will also make your main harddrive faster, as it does not have to write to the harddisk as memory.

stalion 19:12 02 Jun 05

info here scroll down to moving the page file
click here

Joe R 19:31 02 Jun 05

Big B,

I use a small 3Gb partition, for my page file, and with nothing installed on this partition, it means that there is nothing to slow it down.

I also defrag it once a fortnight or so.

I have also found that setting the maximum, and minimum pagefile size, to the same size, also increases the speed.

Most people reckon, that a pagefile should be set to around double the ram, you have in your system.

To change your pagefile, go to Control panel-system-advanced, and under the performance tab, click on settings-advanced, and under virtual memory click on change.

On the C drive, where your pagefile settings will be, highlight this line by clicking on it, and click on, No paging file. After this it is just a matter of highlighting the drive/partition you want the pagefile in, click on custom size and enter your minimum and maximum setting, click on set and reboot.

Chegs ® 21:11 02 Jun 05

There are several differing views on pagefile sizes,I dont use one at all as I have 1.5Gb's here
I have temporarily mislaid the other url I was going to post with a slightly different view to this one's.As a general rule,most (plenty of RAM) systems only need approx 250Mbs of paging file,I used a little app to measure peak PF usage,and even running several intensive apps together my PF usage was around 60Mbs Max.If you shift the PF to a different drive beware,as the system could throw a wobbly and refuse to boot at all,so ensure you leave a small PF on C;/ drive.(unsure of exact details of this problem as I only ever have system managed or no PF)

soy 21:27 02 Jun 05

I read a slight increase in speed is gained only when you move the swapfile to another hard drive on a separate controller. If your moving it to a partition on the same drive or to a partition on a separate hard drive that is on the same IDE cable (Slave), then it could actually slow down the system.

DieSse 21:38 02 Jun 05

Much hot air is talked about paging files. It would be very difficult to know whether moving the paging file around would affect the speed of your system at all. Assuming you have a paging file, (and in my opinion all systems should have one, as it is likely one will be needed from time to time) whether disk accesses would be faster if a drive selection had to be made, or not, would be impossible to calculate except for any one particular system.

Disk accessing speed depends so much on what a system is doing, and how efficient the drives internal caching mechanism is, and how well the systems write and read caching is operating, that I defy anyone to come up with a definitive answer for all systems.

Only one thing is for sure - the more real memory a system has, the less the paging file is used.

DieSse 21:46 02 Jun 05

PS - much day-to-day work on a system won't use the page file at all unless your system is very low on real memory - and that's why adding RAM improves system performance, but only until you reach the threshold where the page file is little used.

This is 256 to 512Mb for an average use WinXP system - and perhaps up to 1Gb for more intensive use.

Anything over 1Gb will only benefit a system in unusual useage conditions (IMHO of course)

DieSse 22:00 02 Jun 05

This is a good, professional write-up on paging files click here

However, I see that even here they tend to "forget" about disk drive caches (both on-drive and in-system) and the possible effects of "most efficient write sequence" algorithms, which I beleive most drives now use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…