Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Ironside01 14:11 27 Apr 04

I've been using outlook express for a couple of years now but would now like to use the Outlook in MS Office instead. How can I make outlook the default email handler and also get all my old messages, addresses and folders etc to show up in outlook? A collegue says that when I open outlook the option to import should come up however this did not happen.

pmjd 14:31 27 Apr 04

Go to File -> import ->mail and address books pick OE. Same again and account settings (or something like it).

This will transfer all your mail, address book and account settings over to outlook.

Under tools ->options have a look around for a box about checking to see if Outlook is the default mail program at start up. Check that and on restarting outlook it should ask you.

Alternatively use the "set program access and defaults" option, if you are running windows 2000 or XP, to change the default mail program

Ironside01 17:37 27 Apr 04

Thanks for this.

I've now managed to copy the messages across but can not get outlook to be my default email client. I am using office 97 on Windows XP.

VoG II 17:40 27 Apr 04

In Internet Explorer, Tools/Internet Options, Programs tab. Set it in there.

Ironside01 18:45 27 Apr 04

Done that with partial success - but when I try to send an email it comes up with an undelverable message. No transport provider available. How do I get the settings that were used by outlook express to be used by outlook.

VoG II 18:51 27 Apr 04
  Ironside01 13:07 28 Apr 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…