Moving "My Documents" off system drive

m800afc 06:13 28 Apr 08

Having just managed a clean reinstall of XP Pro, onto my C drive I was about to put "My Documents" back onto the D drive. I have read many cases of people finding it easier to reinstall the OS if the Data is on a different partition. When I tried to move "My Documents" to D:/, I got a dialogue box saying I could not move these files as they are system files.
How do other people manage. Is there a workaround that will enable me to have "My Documents" on D:/ ?

Taff™ 07:12 28 Apr 08

click here I`m on Vista now but this article describes how I remember doing it in the past.

xania 11:09 28 Apr 08

I do lke this article, although, and I've now told them about this, I'm a bit worried about using an existing secind virtual drive on a new PC as this almost certainly contians the recovery data (and should be hidden but is frequently not). No - best create your own partition using a partition manager (I prefer Partition Magic, but there are freebies out there).

Taff™ 11:22 28 Apr 08

xania - Hadn`t thought of that. The D drive in the original post may well be the Restore Partition - you should therefore make another partition as xania suggests. If you post back the size of your existing partitions and overall disk size we`ll make some recommendations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video