Moving MS Access Database To New Server

rossgolf 00:52 13 Nov 10

A friend has asked me what is the best was to move her MS Access database to a new server at her workplace as the IT guys there have said they dont support that format so cant help for some reason.
it needs to be moved because of disk space problems.
Also, this database takes data out of a spreadsheet using paths so the paths need to be re done. what is the easiest and quickest way to move the paths aswell?

Woolwell 12:50 13 Nov 10

The IT guys seem to be looking for an excuse not to do the work. I would have thought that they could have moved the main database with ease as it is a file. The bigger problem is with rebuilding the links and whoever built the database may have to do that.

There are others on this forum better qualified to give a correct answer than me so it may pay to wait until they have a look at this.

rossgolf 13:10 13 Nov 10

apparently the IT support have bigger priorities
stupid i know
and unfortunately the person who built it initially doesnt work there any more
so thats a bit of a pain

beynac 13:33 13 Nov 10

How are the links to the spreadsheet set up? If the links are the 'full' path (ie including drive letter) then they should still work.

If they are 'local' (ie without the drive letter)then the spreadsheet and Access database must be on the same server. If you move the spreadsheet and the database to the new server, everything should still work.

beynac 13:37 13 Nov 10

Just another thought, do you regularly 'Compact' the database. If not, this would considerably reduce the size of the file.

This option is under the Tools/Database Utilities menu on Access 2003.

rossgolf 18:11 13 Nov 10

thanks for the responses guys
im gonna wait for her to get back to me on monday after she tries to get her boss to persuade the IT to give her a hand lol.
ill let her know all the suggestions
thanks guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…