moving from microsoft WORKS to OFFICE 2003

bludywoman 16:47 19 Jun 07

Hi, for the last couple of years I have always used the software that came on my (DELL win xp) system. Microsoft WORKS. Crunchtime - my son is now getting homework where he actually needs the programs on Mic. Office. So... I intend to uninstall Works and then install Office 2000 (managed to 'acquire' a copy!). Is there anything that I should do to ensure that I can read all the documents I have generated in works...as I know that I cannot currently open word or excel(even p/point) documents - works and office appear to be not compatible. Do I need to save everything with different extensions?...please help. Also - is this a good idea to do? Finding I am currently restricted with works. Any (polite) advice most welcome p.s. just a mum - not a pc wizard!

Jackcoms 16:55 19 Jun 07

Never used Works so I don't know what file extensions they come with.

But I guess the best thing to do is save all your documents to an external medium (USB pen drive, foe example).

When you've installed Office (is it 2000 or 2003 - you mention both?) save all your files as .doc or .xls or .pps, files, etc.

ambra4 16:55 19 Jun 07

Download the work to word, excel,converter and install you should solve you problem

click here

Fingees 16:55 19 Jun 07

I've used works 2002 for a couple of years prior to using office 2003.

Never had any problem with not being able to read old stuff.

Excel also OK, has selection of file extentions to choose from.

If you still have trouble, download and use free open Office

click here

pj123 17:33 19 Jun 07

Don't bother to uninstall Works keep it on your PC.

I have MS Works and MS Office on my PC.

What are these documents you have generated in Works? If they are just Word Processor (.wps) files all you need to do is open the file in Works and then Save As an .rtf file. Any wordprocessor can open an .rtf file.

Spreadsheets in Works .wks files and Database files (.wdb) can also be converted to be opened in MS Office.

If you like to email me via the envelope I would willingly convert all your Works files so that they can be read by MS Office 2000. (Assuming they are not private/sensitive etc..)

bludywoman 19:41 19 Jun 07

Wow...great response... yes it is OFFICE 2000 (not 2003?!) Documents in my Works 7 are saved as .wps extensions. I did wonder about changing to .rtf Do I have to open and save each file independently to .rtf extensions..or is there a way of mass converting? Also, pj123, do you think that installing both programs will either clutter or slow down the hard drive? Also, Ambra4, that link looks really good, going to give that a whirl once I have helped kids with their homework (groan!!!!)(it's like being back at school again!! - except this time round - I can't do it!!)

bludywoman 19:42 19 Jun 07

ha ha....oopps....yep just spotted typo in title...was meant to be OFFICE 2000!!

ambra4 22:30 19 Jun 07

It will work with Word 2003, 2002, 2000, and 97

Not 2007

bludywoman 23:09 19 Jun 07

hi ambra4, I will need to be converting WORKS 7.0 so that these documents work with WORD 2000.. so not sure if that link will work...it only says works 6! any other suggestions?..

Woolwell 23:24 19 Jun 07

I think that you'll find that Office 2000 will open Works 7 files but that Works 7 cannot open Office files.

To open the works files on office:
In the appropriate Office program, click File, and then click Open.
Browse to the folder that contains the Works file.
In the Files of type list, choose All Files (*.*).
Select the Works file that you want to open.

bludywoman 09:03 20 Jun 07

many thanks to all of you that have responded to my thread....I am sincerely grateful....I now think I have enough to sort out my problems....again. Thanks. Alison

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…