Moving memory in hard drive

golfpro 04:12 18 Jan 10

The H/D on my Acer lap-top (5720G) is split into two partitions. The C drive is now getting short of memory, so I would like to grab some from the D drive and move it over to C. How do I do this?

tullie 06:46 18 Jan 10

I think you must mean that your C Partition is getting full dont you,they dont have seperate memory?

mgmcc 08:37 18 Jan 10

If you're using Vista, Disk Management has the facility to "shrink" or "extend" a volume. This means that you could "shrink" D Drive to create Unallocated Space and then "extend" C Drive to take in the Unallocated Space.

THE PROBLEM others have encountered when doing this is that the now smaller D Drive is between C Drive and the Unallocated Space preventing C Drive from using it.

Have a look at the free "Easeus Partition Master" software which should let you manipulate your partition structure as you want it click here

golfpro 09:10 18 Jan 10

The problem is when I installed Windows 7 over the vista program (clean install), it stuffed all the old files somewhere, and this is what's taking up the space. I want get rid of these but I can't even find them. So if anyone can tell me how this is done I will be eternally grateful.

tullie 09:28 18 Jan 10

Have a look for Windows.old i think!

golfpro 12:03 18 Jan 10

tullie
That kind help I can do without. If that's the best you can do then don't bother replying.

cream. 12:19 18 Jan 10

windows.old is a file stored on some upgraded computers that contain the old operating system files.
click here

I think you owe tullie an apology.

Also google for treesize to check hidden files.

keef66 12:21 18 Jan 10

tullie means if you search for files with a *.old extension, you may discover where it's put them.

+2 for using Easeus; it often turns up free on giveawayoftheday.com - you just have to look on the site every day cos you have only a 24hr window to download and install.

That's what I used to sort out my son's laptop; during setup he'd split the HDD 50:50 between C and D, and of course the C: partition was filling up.

mgmcc 12:27 18 Jan 10

"tullie" is actually quite correct in that the files remaining from the Vista installation will be in a folder named Windows.old

Have a look at this discussion click here relating to the removal of the Windows.old folder in Windows 7.

mgmcc 12:32 18 Jan 10

>>> +2 for using Easeus; it often turns up free on
>>> giveawayoftheday.com - you just have to look on
>>> the site every day cos you have only a 24hr
>>> window to download and install.

The Home Edition of Easeus Partition Master *is FREE* ????

golfpro 13:34 18 Jan 10

mgmcc

Thanks a lot for that the discussion thread worked a treat, managed to claw back over 25GB on my C drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…