Moving large file to external hard drive

Chirag 12:53 16 Jun 07

Hello, my external hard drive is 320gb and I have used up almost 30gb of it. I wanted to transfer an iso file of 7.7gb onto my hard drive but whenever I try to copy it, an error comes up saying not enough space to move. But there is still 290gb of free space! I recently copied around 20gb of home videos from my HDD camcorder but it doesn't copy this iso file. Please can someone assist me. Thank you very much. I am using Windows XP Home, 1gb RAM, external hard drive is in FAT32 Format.

VoG II 12:55 16 Jun 07

It is probably because the drive is FAT32 - see this similar thread click here

Chirag 13:08 16 Jun 07

This is an external hard media centre hard drive which plays back movies music and photos when connected to the tv. are u sure if i convert it to NTFS it will not get corrupted?

Chirag 13:38 16 Jun 07

If I do change it to NTFS will all the data from it be deleted?

VoG II 13:44 16 Jun 07

No the data won't be deleted but if the data is valuable you should make a backup first.

How to convert: click here

bremner 13:45 16 Jun 07

The data will not be deleted - but as with any computer operation there is always a danger of a crash or error that could result in data becoming in accessible.

That said I have converted umpteen drives from FAT to NTFS and have not to date had any issue - but never say never as they say.

Chirag 15:06 16 Jun 07

I cant convert it. When I type in convert J: \fs:ntfs and press enter it say invalid arametr - \fs:ntfs. What am I doing wrong?

Chirag 15:08 16 Jun 07

"Invalid Parameter" Spelling correction

Chirag 15:15 16 Jun 07

I managed to start the conversion process it was a spelling mistake i typed \ instead of /. However now it says the drive is dirty and use checkdsk/f or autochk. Help please. Thank you

Diemmess 16:36 16 Jun 07

In my sheltered existence, I hadn't come across "the drive is dirty" so I popped the expression into Google, make what you can of the MS file?
click here

ICF 16:41 16 Jun 07

What's the make and model no of the external drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac