moving a game to another drive can I do it???

raggy 2 10:15 25 Jan 06

Hi guys I have the game civilization on my C drive and this is getting full and I want to transfer it to my D drive (119G freespace left) and wondered can I do this without losing all that I have done so far and saved on the game.
If it can be done im a novice so be gentle

MichelleC 10:25 25 Jan 06

The only way to move progs/games is to 'clone' drive. The installation leaves files imbedded so you can't just move a prog.

raggy 2 10:30 25 Jan 06

so have I got to uninstall/reinstall and lose all saved data

SANTOS7 10:36 25 Jan 06

reinstall the game to your D:/ drive and then copy saved game data to the appropriate folder, if this works you can then delete the game from C:/

woodchip 11:02 25 Jan 06

Your best way would be to save the settings of the Game, they have to be saved some where, most likely in the Folder for the game. then remove the game from Add Remove in Control Panel and reload the Game to your other drive then copy the saved settings to the new location folder, that corresponds to the folder that it was in when you saved

Shortstop 11:44 25 Jan 06

I had a similar problem - with programs, not games - and used app mover as recommended on here [click here] which has a free trial allowing you to move a set number of programs [think it was about 10]. Moves all registry and shortcut details as welland, as tend to do this a lot since some programs insist on installing on the drive rather than giving an option, have since purchased it.

Never had an issue & worked everytime.

HTH

Paul

Totally-braindead 11:51 25 Jan 06

Have to agree with SANTOS7 and woodchip in that the way they describe is the only way you could do it. If you tried to move the entire program from the C to the D drive it probably wouldn't work as some parts of it would still be looking for the game on the C drive, and of course it wouldn't find it. I'm afraid the cloning idea would probably fail for the same reason. Personally I'd be looking at other programs to move, things you don't use often, perhaps graphics or print programs or MS Office or whatever, I would remove them using add/remove programs and reinstall them from scratch on the D drive. In the case of Office files they should all be left in My Documents and therefore there would be no problem. Stating the obvious here but before you delete anything make sure you still have the disks to reinstall.

Totally-braindead 11:54 25 Jan 06

Took me a while to type the above and Shortstop has suggested another way of doing it. Can't say I've heard of that program before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…