Moving files to another partition

Indigo 1 13:49 21 Dec 05

My friend asked me if it was possible to move files such as My Documents from his full C: drive to an empty partition. He only has 5% free space on the C: drive but has two other empty partitions, I realise that this means there will be endless broken links for documents previously installed in C: and was wondering if there was a simple and easy way to achieve this such as 'Files and Settings Transfer Wizard' ?

XP Home on 8 Gb partition along with all other programs, 30Gb disc with two other partitions of 10 & 11Gb.

stalion 13:53 21 Dec 05

you can find it here click here

Indigo 1 14:14 21 Dec 05

Erm do you think you might be a little more specific please ?

Shortstop 14:18 21 Dec 05

I used this to move programs from one drive to another

click here

it amends the registry, short cuts and so on but is limited to 10 uses before you need to pay for it.

stalion 14:25 21 Dec 05
  kro 14:29 21 Dec 05

Not sure if this is what you mean, but...

If your friend goes to "my computer" then clicks on "up", right-clicking on "my documents" then properties allows the user to change the target location location to another folder, parition or drive. Then copy the files over.

stalion 14:35 21 Dec 05

I would use the program provided by Shortstop have a read first and do a system restore point before you move anything

Indigo 1 14:55 21 Dec 05

I have downloaded it and willing to give it a try on a few stray programs but not clear if it is suitable for 'Documents and Settings' folders.

Are you suggesting that once the files have been moved then the new path can be configured in that way ? I have tried simply moving them from one drive partition to another but it is not possible.

stalion 14:59 21 Dec 05

to be honest I am not sure if you can move the my documents folder so best to wait for further advice

VoG II 15:03 21 Dec 05

click here

Ensure that no files in My Documents are open when you do this.

prince midas 15:07 21 Dec 05

Would it not be easier to enlarge his present drive by adding the 2 empty partions to is C drive by using something like Norton Partition manager which is what I would do in this instance and with no problems like he is asking for if he does what as been suggested by others,no offence meant.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…