Moving e-mails from Outlook Express

My father has a new computer and asked me to transfer all his old e-mails from the old to the new machine.

There could be 1500 to 2000 of them (700 in inbox and many more in sub folders)

The operating system is Windows 98.

I have the use of a USB mass storage device with plenty of capacity which I used successfully to move all his other files and folders.

However with the e-mails, when I select-all and drag and drop, the system grinds for a while then gives up having done nothing.

I do seem to be able to move them individually but then a second problem arises, because many of the e-mails are about the same subject they have the same subject title, therefore when I move them I'm having to rename them as well.This will take days.

I can't email them to the new machine as we only have bad dial up conection available so it would take light years to send and then receive them back.
It doesn't matter what form they take on the new machine as long as he can recognise them refer back to them and read them.

There must be an easy quick way, I hope??

Taff36 20:34 31 Jul 05

Is he using Outlook Express? If so search for .dbx files and locate his storage folder. Copy all these to a "storage" file perhaps called "Old System Mail" and then import it into his computers Outlook Express via File Import.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…