Moving a drive from USB2 to Firewire

ShanghaiTony 02:55 20 Mar 04

I have an external drive (from Maxtor I think) which works well via USB2. I'd like to try connecting it via FireWire instead, to try to improve the speed. So far I have tried shut down, remove USB cable, install FireWire cable and restart. But the drive is not visable under 'My Computer' or Explorer.

frazky 03:30 20 Mar 04

did anyone/any-site (the shop where u got it e.g) tell you that this was possible?-not enough info.

(if the HDD has firewire connection - you will perhaps need to d/l the drivers ?

ShanghaiTony 11:58 20 Mar 04

I'm running XP-Pro. The shop that sold me the drive said that both USB2 and Firewire were possible. The FireWire card seems to be working OK. I asked the shop for support, they said 'Sorry, we are a A**le Centre, we don't know about PC's!'

byfordr 13:17 20 Mar 04

I've got a Maxtor Onetouch which runs on both firewire and usb2. (USB2 being a bit faster but more of a resource hogger)

In the box was a 6pin to 6pin firewire cable. On the drive is 2 firewire ports at the top and a usb2 port.

Plug the cable into your firewire (I'm assuming you have a 6 pin port on the pc) then plug it into one of the firewire ports. If it doesn't work try reinstalling the software that came with it and try again.

Failing that downloads are available from here. click here

What model is it? And what size, the small capacity ones don't support firewire.

HTH

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac