Moving a domain

slightlymad 19:49 02 Mar 06

A colleague has bmd.NET hosted by 1&1, and only the domain name bmd.COM registered with Blue Spark, who have also provided her with a bmd.com email address.

So, her active email is @bmd.COM but her website is bmd.NET.

She has requested the transfer of the .COM domain name to 1&1 and intends to upload the .NET files to their server (ending up with two identical sites).

Blue Spark say "There will be no charges from us for transferring control of these domains to 1&1. In order to try and make the transfer as painless as possible for you we will offer to continue forwarding the email for you for 30 days after you transfer the domains. This should give you plenty of time to make the arrangements with your new suppliers and get the email set up."

Is setting up the .com email address straightforward?

She says that she cannot afford to be without her .com email address for any length of time. Can I assure her that the transition will be seamless?

Marie

Forum Editor 23:14 02 Mar 06

will be able to set up her own mailboxes when her .com name is being hosted by 1&1 (or by any decent web host).

Almost all hosting packages come with the ability to have multiple mailboxes, and these can be configured via the online control panel.

slightlymad 23:32 02 Mar 06

Thank you, FE.

I'm going to do this for her. I'm happy about setting up mail boxes, I just needed to be 100% sure that if I set up an @bmd.com mail address that there isn't going to be any conflict, if Blue Spark is currently handling the mail.

Apologies for my lack of clarity. And punctuation.

Marie

Forum Editor 23:57 02 Mar 06

Please note that you can only set up a mailbox when the domain name is hosted - until it has been retagged with the new host's ISPTAG any mailbox you set up will not work.

slightlymad 07:02 03 Mar 06

All clear, FE. Thank you.

Marie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009