Moving data to new C drive

WtheM 14:49 14 Feb 03

Hi,
I recently installed a new 6ogb hard drive as my original 10gb was about full!
How and what can i move from the old hd to the new one to lighten the load on the old drive?
Also, can I make the new hard drive the default so when I load new software it will automatically load there?
Thanks.

pj123 15:15 14 Feb 03

If you have both hard drives installed the only thing you can do is drag and drop your own files. You cannot drag and drop programmes, they will have to be re-installed. The new drive should be installed as the master and the old drive as the slave. Alternatively, if you do not have anything on the new drive yet, you could put the new drive in as a slave and the old disk as the master and then copy everything from old to new. To do this you will need to start windows from your old drive (as master and new drive as slave) and then go to START, RUN and type in xcopy c:\*.* /e/h/k/r/c/ d: Make sure you have the spaces in the right places and that will copy everything from your old disk to your new disk. Once that is finished switch off and remove the old disk and make the new disk the master and reboot.

stlucia 15:19 14 Feb 03

If it's mainly data files that's filling up your old drive, the simples thing is to leave it as the master C:\ drive, move all the data files from it (drag and drop) to your new drive, and from then on just use it for Windows and other program files and the new drive for data.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…