Moving CPU to another PC. Thermal paste required?

May the Schwarz be with you... 20:20 16 Mar 04

Hi, I plan to buy a Barton 2500+ and put it into my ECS L7S7A motherboard and transfer my current XP1700+ to my brother's ECS K7S5A to replace his Duron 1.3Ghz. I know it involves taking off the heatsink first and then the CPU. Because of this, would I need some new thermal paste when I transfer it to my brother's PC? The heatsink is a Coolermaster Silent one which supports up to 3200+ CPUs. It also had a thermal patch on the base of the heatsink.

If it's recommended that I get some thermal paste, then what would you recommend? I'm not one of those mad-overclocking freaks and just one some paste which will ensure that my CPU will not blow up! I have always prefered thermal patches to paste since it's much easier to install. Also, would you recommend syringe ones if they are easier. Finally, do the syringe ones have marks on them to tell you how much you need? I don't want to put the wrong amount and see it spread all over when I put the heatsink on top.

Finally (!), would it be just as simple to wipe off the previous thermal patch using a tissue or cloth or something or would I need some cleaning fluid?

fsbb 21:29 16 Mar 04

Rub the old paste off the CPU and heatsink using a soft cloth. Be careful with the CPU - don't touch the pins. The paste should remove quite easily.

The syringe type pastes (PC World) come with a template and plastic card. Position the template on heatsink, squeeze the paste onto the edge of template card, use the plastic spreader supplied to evenly fill the cutout in the template, remove the template - heatsink is ready for installing.

radi8or 21:45 16 Mar 04

Hi May the.

Suggest you use Artic silver 5 (a little expensive but good) and TIM cleaner

click here

Very carefully remove thermal pad with sharp knife / razor blade be sure not to scratch surface, clean both surfaces thoroughly, allow to dry, squeeze a very small amount of thermal paste onto cpu and spread a very thin layer with something a little flexible (OLD!! credit card) be careful not to go over edges place heatsink in place and secure

needs a little time to "cure" with heat and gets
better as it does.

hope this has helped good luck

Regards Bob

daftdruid 12:06 17 Mar 04

I had to make a similar decision a while ago when I changed my AMD cpu.I went to the AMD homepage,and it would seem that their advicce now is --not to paste on certain cpu¬s.I think you might want to pay a visit yourself to set your mind at rest.After all, it`s their product you`re using

The Spires 12:13 17 Mar 04

radi8or nice site, added to bookmarks.

norman47 12:53 17 Mar 04

Some nice little video's from AMD.
click here

Not very large, biggest 1.5Mb on low quality.

These may help you.

p.s. don't spend a fortune on thermal paste. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…