Moving Country / Voltage / U.K. to Canada. . .

  jaycotte 13:24 PM 06 Jun 11

I have recently moved from the U.K. to Canada and my PC will follow shortly.The U.K. mains run on 230 Volts, Canada on 120 Volts. So I have three questions and would appreciate any advice.

I would like to know if my PC will operate in Canada given the differing voltage ?

Is it just a matter of using an adapter ?

I also have a U.K. bought printer, screen and PC speakers and wish to know if they will function in Canada with adapters ?

Thanks in advance.

  johndrew 13:48 PM 06 Jun 11

If your PC is a desktop, unless your existing PSU has either automatic detection or is capable of being set to a different voltage your best bet would be to replace the PSU with a local unit of the correct rating for the PC. Most laptops have power supplies that are universal but you need to check the unit specification to be certain.

The printer is likely to require replacing or a voltage converter used between it and the mains supply.

For both the speakers and the screen you will need to check the operating specification of the power supply. Details should either be printed or embossed on the case.

  bremner 14:25 PM 06 Jun 11

If the printer has a power block then read what it says. My two HP's both operate between 110 -240v and 50-60Hz so would work perfectly well in Canada.

Again many PSU operate over the range of voltages, it is very much a case of reading the information on the side of the PSU.


This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X